This article will explain
2. Home remedies for short term hiccups.
3. Prolonged hiccups.
Hiccupping is one of the symptoms which accompanied by a little tightening sensation in the chest, abdomen or throat.
Hiccups are unconscious contractions of the diaphragm. The diaphragm is the muscle that separates the chest from the abdomen which plays an important role in breathing. Those contractions are followed by a sudden shutting down of the vocal cords, which produces the characteristic “hic” sound.
The common reasons for normal, unharmful hiccups that last less than one-two days include:
- Drinking too much carbonated beverages or alcohol
- Eating too much
- Sudden excitement or emotional stress
- Sudden temperature changes
- Swallowing too much air (eg: with chewing-gum)
Sometimes hiccups that prolonged more than two days may be caused by a variety of deep factors.
- Damage of nerve or irritation
- Nervous system disorders
- Metabolic disorders or drugs
Home remedies for short term hiccups.
There’s no certain way to stop hiccups, but if you have annoying hiccups that last longer than a few minutes, the following home remedies may give you relief:
- Breath heavily
- Wash throat with ice water
- Hold your breath
- Drink small portions of cold water
For prolonged hiccups.
For prolonged hiccups, a proper medical diagnosis should conduct. For chronic hiccups, lifestyle changes may help:
- Avoid carbonated beverages
- Avoid gas-producing food
- Eat smaller meals